Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Score


This Christmas, Santa brought me the same damn thing he gave me when I was probably 11 or 12 years old. I couldn't be more pleased. The difference being that this time it wasn't a shiny piece of plastic delivering the sounds of my youth, but rather a nice luscious piece of tasty vinyl. People can go on and on about the merits of listening to vinyl over other formats of recording but at the end of the day it just simply possesses that certain 'je ne sais quoi'. This fact never became more apparent then when those opening guitar strings began to pluck out the intro to 'My Name is Jonas'. There's just that element of mystery and discovery when that needle hits the groove. It felt like the first time again.
While we're on the subject, I'd like to shed some light on a Weezer related album from the past that deserves some much needed attention. It's well documented that Weezer began it's quick decent into something else after the release of 'Pinkerton' which just so happened to coincide with the departure of bassist Matt Sharp. If you're wondering where all that talent went then look no further than 1995's The Rentals - Return of the Rentals. To me this album contains many of the lovable features found on 'The Blue Album' and at the same time is able to be something completely different. Most notable differences include female vocal accompaniment and a heavy heaping of the Moog. The Rentals still play but nothing really compares to their debut album.

Oh and if I hear one more shitty cover band play 'Say it Ain't So', I'm a gonna go ape shit!

No comments: