Sunday, December 21, 2008

Top 9 of '08


Well, you know what they say about opinions. They all stink! But of course we all love our own particular brand of stink. So without further adu, please allow me to throw my own thoughts on top of the smelly heap that is the internet. This year didn't provide the consistency of awesomeness like it's year old sibling '07, but it did offer some tasty treats for those in need. In retrospect, I am glad to say that these albums are not just well crafted but are also just flat out enjoyable. The organization of this list just so happened to end up as a sort of grouping of works. Richman, Dr.Dog, and Little Joy all share a warm, human sensibility in their sound and subject matter. The Walkmen and Beach House both create gorgeous soundscapes that are shrouded with a hint of unsettled eeriness. El Guincho and High Places use layers of sound to weave a wonderful array of textures and color. Wait, can sound have color? I vote yes. And the top two, Thee Oh Sees and Man Man just plain kick ass in a similar no holds barred fashion.
9. Jonathan Richman - Because Her Beauty is Raw and Wild. If the title alone doesn't pique your interest then perhaps you should get to stepping. Jonathan wears his heart on his sleeve at all times and this album is no exception. I've found it a bit dicey navigating his catalogue of work. His stuff from the 80's and early 90's in particular. Some incorporate too much studio embellishment and mask his directness which I find to be his greatest asset. This album does well to present his songs in a style similar to his stage performances and if you haven't seen him live then please put that on your to-do list for '09.
8. Dr. Dog - Fate. Some people hate on these guys for borrowing too much from the bands that inspired them. Elements of The Beatles, The Band, The Beach Boys, or I suppose any other band that begins with a 'B', can be quite easily picked out of any given song. I look at it like this. Yeah, it's true but hey, it sounds great and not a lot of groups can pull that feat off this well. Also, I feel that sometimes originality is given too much significance when considering the validity of certain music. Sure it's great to bring new ideas to the table but sometimes reconfiguring elements from the past in a new light can be just as rewarding. In a way, it's a form of sampling. Besides, if we didn't borrow from the past we'd still be painting in the caves. In the end, it's the songs that matters. And I like their songs.
7. Little Joy - Little Joy. More like... A LOT OF JOY! LoL! But seriously, this stuff is quite pleasant.
6. The Walkmen - You & Me. To be honest, I've never spent much time listening to The Walkmen before this album. I've always known that they were around but never inquired as to much more than that. I'm still too lazy to investigate their previous works but I am grateful to have this record fall into my lap. It's one of those albums that create their own little world that you enjoy stepping back into time and again.
5. Beach House - Devotion. Similar to The Walkmen, 'Devotion' creates it's own space with lovely aching tunes. Sophomore slump need not apply.
4. El Guincho - Alegranza! Okay, some dispute whether or not this is a truly a 2008 release or an '07. To them I say, with all due respect, "shut up stupid face." Some say this album is the work of a latino Panda Bear fan boy. To them I say, "yeah, you're probably right." After all the talking is done and the music is played this record speaks for itself. And it says things like "fun" and "excitement" and I'm okay with that. This guy has great potential.
3. High Places - High Places. This duo road the wave of underground hype before formally releasing their first proper album. Sometimes this can be a curse disguised as a blessing but this seems to be one of those rare cases where all the hoopla is well earned. They deserve all the accolades that they receive for the sweeping beauty of these tracks.
2. Thee Oh Sees - The Master's Bedroom is Worth Spending a Night In. If you've met me or if you have read this blog at some point during the past few months then you know of my undying affection for this band. I said all year that this was going to be my number one choice but I decided against it. Mainly because I feel that these guys have the ability to put out some marvelous work in the near future and I wouldn't want them to hog the top spot for too many years in a row.
1. Man Man - Rabbit Habits. I was fortunate enough to catch their album release show in Philly this past year and it's true what they say. No one puts on a performance like these guys. Wild, zany, passionate. Twist and turns all over. This record showcases all of their finest attributes. Sure they owe a good portion of their sound to the likes of Zappa, Waits, and Cpt. Beefheart but as I mentioned back with the Dr. Dog situation, it's the songs that matter and no other album this year threw in a more ambitious and exciting display than 'Rabbit Habits'.
Man Man - "Top Drawer" (I'm experiencing technical difficulties with getting their mp3 to work. This will suffice.)

No comments: